|Photo by Charles 🇵🇭 on Unsplash|
Here's a list of why Public Mobile is the best phone plan out there. FYI - I'm not paid by Public Mobile, I just really like them and so does the FIRE community. Let us help you see the light.
#1 They use the Telus network, which is very, very good. Check your phones compatibility here. For reference, I use a Google Pixel 2 XL and my wife uses the iPhone 6.
#2 Yes, you can port your number.
#3 Three very cheap plans that should cover 99% of Canadians AND their businesses needs: *Ontario bias but I've checked and most provinces are identical*
- $15/month - unlimited international text, 100 minutes, unlimited incoming calls, 250mb of data
- $25/month - unlimited international text, unlimited nationwide calling, 1gb of data
- $40/month - unlimited international text, unlimited nationwide calling, 5gb of data
For example, if you want extra data just in case for emergencies but don't want to buy a more expensive plan every month, you can simply purchase a one-time add-on and viola, those 2 GB's (or however much you bought) will carry over even as your plan renews every month until you actually use the full 2 GB's - and before you ask, YES, Public Mobile will use your plan's data first before using your add-on.
- For example, if you activate three $25 plans with a credit card, you will get $30 in credit, $2/month for referrals, $6/month for using your credit card, and $3/month after your first year to the maximum of $15/month after 5 (explained in #9). So this means:
- Year 0: $67/month + tax - $30 off first month
- Year 1: $64/month + tax
- Year 5: $52/month + tax (FIFTY-TWO DOLLARS FOR 3 PHONE PLANS!???!)
- The member boards is also where you will go for any customer service you might need. It's incredibly straightforward and if there is any trouble with porting your number (as I had transferring from Koodo), you just message the moderators who are employees of Public Mobile. They're incredibly quick - it's so much nicer than having to call and wait.